Saturday, June 8, 2013

First Mommy Meltdown



Last Monday, little dude's teacher at his new school sent me an SMS saying that they'll be doing a home visit to get to know him before school starts. I love that about Marcus' new school . Since their forte is on preschoolers, they really make an effort to ensure these kids are managed well. I think it's a pretty good strategy to prep them for the first day of school.

I said yes to Teacher Frances with a request that the visit be made in the afternoon or early evening when I'm back from work. I even texted her this morning to remind her to schedule the visit at around 3pm so I can just take the afternoon off work.

Around 9:30am while I was in a meeting, teacher texted that they'll have to drop by in the morning at around 11-12nn! I hurriedly finished the meeting and replied that I am going home and to wait for me. I dashed off the cafe where the meeting was, half-walked half-ran to my parking, and started the car. I had another meeting in the afternoon but I thought I'll just return to work later. Yes, I was going to drive from Ortigas to Sta. Rosa and back.

When I was about to speed off the parking area, I heard my phone ring and answered it right away. It was Teacher Frances. She said they were already in the nearby village and that they were going to our house next. I practically begged her to wait for me or to reschedule the visit some other day, but she said there's nothing she can do. She just called to assure me that it won't take long anyway and that it's ok if I wasn't there.

I totally broke down inside the car after that call! Of course it wasn't ok!! I felt pity and frustrated at myself. I cried like a baby for a good five minutes. It was the first time I really felt like I was not there for my son. Call me OA but for me it's a milestone in little dude's life. That event will never happen again. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to control the situation the way I usually do. I regretted working so far away from home.

It was my first why-do-i-have-to-be-a-working-mom moment. Sigh. Big sigh.

Now maybe this is a wake-up call for me to seriously consider working at home. Must. Think. Business. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment